Sunday, June 3, 2007

RISD Museum and Second Dam Pond



This newest work is of an area where we used to hang out when I was kid much the same as the last piece. This is a fresh water pond in the woods of Swansea near the old historic town center and Abrahms Rock. We used to fish, swim and canoe the waters here. Bethany and I hiked back the other day to check out the old dam and see what the area looks like after all these years. I was surprised to see a few houses on the other side of the creek but otherwise it's all pretty much as I remember. I like the results I achieved in this piece. I tried to capture the true light and atmosphere in mid afternoon on a sunny, humid day.

Today we drove into Providence to visit the RISD Museum of Fine Art. They have a surprisingly nice collection there. The museum houses several pieces from Sargeant, Monet, Renoir and an impressive array of other American and French Impressionists. The main hall of the gallery is hung in the traditional salon style from the late 19th century. It's brilliant to view upon entering the room but does make study of each individual work impossible which is a little disappointing!







I did photograph one piece which really accurately represents the technique of peinture claire I was discussing in my last post. The work is by Theodore Robinson and has that luminous quality I have been interested in. Even the shadows are infused with light in this landscape which brings the whole tonal quality up and creates an entirely different atmosphere.


2 comments:

mick mcginty said...

William,
Sorry I didn't reply sooner to your announcement of your new blog. It's going to be great to read your ideas about painting. I re-directed your Full Hook Ups link and added your new blog link.
You're teaching me alot. I really admire your technique and have followed everything you've been doing. I'm as curious as you about the techniques of others whos painting I've always admired and if I figure out anything, I would be happy to share, but you are definately in the lead. Your work is really something else already, and experimenting with new approaches will just make it stronger.

Thanks for the link.
Mick

Gordon Nicholds said...

Hey William! Love the new work, looks as though you're really finding your own unique voice, and I'm sure that all of the traveling around keeps fresh images in your noggin.
Don't forget, the Pissarro show at the Milwaukee Art Museum runs through September 9th; it's fascinating to see his evolution from literalism to impressionism. I didn;t know about his influence on biggies like Monet, Pisarro should get more props, IMHO...
Great blog, keep up the good work, and remember to drink a beer every now and then!